From:
Benjamin BAYART <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:30:46 +0100
Le Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 12:45:56PM +0100, Frank Mittelbach:

> layout is called "ftnrightspread" and you can review the results in the pdf

I see one interesting case, about footnotes and multicolumn. The usual
layout is to have N cols, with the footnotes of each columns at the
bottom of it. It might be interesting to have a layout with different
numbers of cols for the text and the notes.

Something like a 2 columns text with a 3 columns footnote area, when there
is a quite large difference in text size between text and notes, it
avoid having too long lines in the notes.

I don't know how to have that kind of thing integrated as a parameter in
a more global layout.

Another case interesting in mixing various numbers of columns, and that
can be handled, is having a "break" across all columns, but not only at
the top of the page, like a "middle title". I don't know how it fits
with the float placement system, it would be a kind of gluing together a
page with balanced columns and no bot floats (the top part) and a page
with a cross-cols title (the bottom part).

Since a multi column is more suited for large page sizes, it can be
interesting to have such "middle" titles.

Regards,

	Benjamin.