Sender:
From:
William F Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:50:35 -0400
Joachim Schrod <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> But not necessarily the most interesting. There is also the
> possibility of experimenting with new innovative approaches to style
> sheets, given by modular XML processors like PXP and modular
> typesetting engines like ant.

James Clark once wrote somewhere that style sheet processing is a
limited form of sgml processing, and I've never had reason to doubt it
for author-side processing.  Don't underestimate the power of less
restrained frameworks like David Megginson's perl module SGMLS.pm (and
its friendly interface sgmlspl.pl) for formatting XML to LaTeX.

I have recently found it to work with UTF-8 encoded XML documents
under Perl 5.6+.  With it at some point you'll want to say "use
utf8;"; for example, say it in an sgmlspl.pl script if that is your
setup.  The utf8 pragma is said to be headed for redundancy with
eventual versions of Perl (5.8 is current, I think), but is said to be
harmless in those versions.

So, in fact, I've rolled provision for this in the current gellmu
tarball (still not ready for ctan but in my web).  An example document
is in that tarball: examples/intlchars.  This example can be built
with the bin/linux/umkg interface if emacs 21, opensp, perl, and, of
course, latex and pdflatex, augmented by the new utf8ienc, are all in
place.  For latex output I am, of course, constrained by what
characters are provided in utf8ienc, and for viewing HTML I am
likewise constrained by what characters the Gecko layout engine
(common to netscape, mozilla, galeon, and konqueror) handles on my
platform.  I don't yet really have the means to test characters beyond
unicode plane 0.

The example document is also at
http://www.albany.edu/~hammond/gellmu/utf8/

                                    -- Bill