Sender:
From:
David Carlisle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2005 09:50:17 +0100
> We load it with \globaldefs=1

hmm, keyval might be OK in that case but you see why the general
restriction on not loading arbitrary packages is there.

If any package goes
{\catcode\something=something \gdef\xyz{...} ... }
then it's rather messed up if globaldefs is set as the catcode (or any
other local) changes leak out.
Also the { ..} group would leave a mathord atom and affect the spacing
if the font is first used in math mode.

So in general the class of packages that are safe to load in an fd file
is a restricted subset of the general set of latex packages. Although
obviously any particular case may be set (and as I said at the beginning
I haven't looked at the MinionPro font set up so I didn't mean to imply
that that was broken, just that skating on thin ice is basically
dangerous and that it's reasonable to put up a general sign saying no
skating, even if experts may chose to ignore the signs and go on the ice
with care.

David

http://www.star.net.uk