Sender:
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2008 06:57:04 +0100
From:
Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Karl Berry wrote:
>     Distributions are encouraged to include these depreciated versions but
>     *outside* of the usual texmf location, for example:
>
> Sorry, I don't like it.  TL is not an archive.  One could make (and
> people have made) the same argument about every package and every
> program.  We don't do it for L2e ...

Okay, but how about the CTAN part of the idea?  I'm trying to think of
how to balance ease of use with availability of older versions.  I think
that this was not possible when LaTeX2e was first released, nor was it
obvious it would be required.  I'd imagine that the more extended LaTeX3
would need less packages (but I'm prepared to be wrong), but still it is
at least worth thinking about.