From:
William Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:28:38 -0500
On Feb 12, 2008, at 4:57 PM, Frank Mittelbach wrote:

> the problem that
> this OR is intending to tackle and resolve: multicolumn layout with
> flexible
> float handling
>
> so using an interface that says "don't do that then" isn't really
> what I'm
> looking for

Just read through what's been posted thus far briefly, but wanted to
comment on a couple of desires:

  - view-together rules --- an ability to require that an ad and its
listing appear on a spread (or even on the same page)

  - separation rules --- the ad for this car dealership can't appear
on the same spread as a competing dealership.

  - optional floats, e.g., filler ads --- if a listing and its ad need
to be on a page, and there's no room for the ad on a right page, pad
that page out w/ a filler ad (or graphic) from a list provided at the
beginning of the document (or section)

It seems pretty obvious we'd want more than just htbp for options
though.

Ages ago, I posted a description of the workflow which I use in paging
a document by hand --- it's all pretty obvious stuff, but it does all
come down to trial and error and examining and discarding n-
possibilities until the section / chapter comes out as desired.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer