From:
Heiko Oberdiek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2006 01:26:42 +0200
On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 11:03:04AM +0200, Frank Mittelbach wrote:

> Getting the  distribution in a better shape should always be a goal. How much
> of what you have done is or can be automated?

The main job is done by a quite simple perl script that
runs the manually determined program calls.
To generate all, I only call
  ./build.sh

But the interesting part is how to get the TDS archive
from a "wild" collection of files of a directory.

* If the .ins file supports the TDS feature, then
  the installation of the generated files is easy,
  just running docstrip. The missing directories can be
  created by the shell-escape feature:
  For this purpose I am using the following docstrip.cfg:

%%% docstrip.cfg
\BaseDirectory{texmf}
\UseTDS

\def\shell#{\immediate\write18 }
\def\mkdir#1{\shell{mkdir -p #1}}

\let\saved@usedir\usedir
\def\usedir#1{%
  \mkdir{\basedir#1}%
  \saved@usedir{#1}%
}
%%% docstrip.cfg %%%

* Manual part of .ins file based installatoin:
  * Which .ins files must be used (there can be a master .ins file).
  * \usedir isn't always correct, e.g. babel puts driver.drv and user.drv
    in the TDS:tex tree.

* Even if there are .ins files, then there can be files, that
  must copied directly into the TDS:tree, because they are not
  covered by a dtx file (latex/base: testpage.tex, idx.tex, ...)

* Deciding, which files goes into the TDS:source tree.

* Generating the documention is the most difficult part:
  * Installation of additional packages. (E.g., I had to install
    some font packages (armenian, tipa, wsuipa, fc).
  * Number and order of latex, makeindex, ... runs.
  * Sometimes hyperref support is tricky (e.g. for adding
    bookmarks that are not set by default).
  * The example a.ps in grfguide is quite unhappy. The example
    and the explanation in the text is not too good:
    By specifying a wrong BoundingBox the viewport feature
    is emulated. This works for dvips, but not for pdfTeX.
  * ...

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <[log in to unmask]>