Sender:
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:06:34 -0400
inline
On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 08:52:54PM EDT, Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>     I think that what I am trying to achieve is something that would look
>     like it was born in MS Word or one of its OSS clones rather than in a
>     printer's shop.
>
> Try including only the second one:
> \usepackage{mathptmx}
>
> You should get Times Roman, which is the default in Word.

Works..!  I couln't see much difference when I viewed the .dvi file
on-screen .. and I was going to get back to you with additional
questions.  Then I thought I should print the file and add it to my
collection of test printout .. and lo and behold .. the ouput has
exactly that crisp constipated enterprise-ready look that I was
desperately trying to achieve.

Would you know if by any chance a repository of "LaTeX templates for all
occasions" is available anywhere?  I tend to learn much faster by
example and I was thinking that such templates might help compensate for
the fact that there does not appear to be much available in the way of a
tutorial or HowTo.

>     what would appear to be two maths package should result in a font
>     switch.
>
> You're right that it's a peculiar name.  The "tm" buried in there is
> actually an abbreviation for Times (don't ask).
>
> Background in case you care: The thing is that TeX has been around so
> long, all the obvious names (like \usepackage{times}) were used long
> ago.  The new package (mathptmx) has different (and better) behavior
> than the old, and to keep old documents working, we don't want to change
> the behavior without also changing the name.  Having the plethora of
> different names is a downside in itself, granted, but breaking old
> documents seems worse, so ... here we are.

Yes but the end-result on a printed page looks so good that such
aspects are unlikely to put me off.

> Happy typesetting,

So far so good.. :-)

> Karl

As and aside,

I subscribed to this list only a few days ago - last Sunday, I believe,
and so far I have received nothing apart from the two replies to this
thread.  I didn't find the list at gmane.org.

Is there any place where I can view daily updates to the list .. just to
make sure I am set up correctly?

Sorry about the [OT] but I don't know where to ask.

Thank you very much.

Chris.