From:
Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2010 21:27:45 +0100
On 16/06/2010 13:19, Lars Hellström wrote:
> Joseph Wright skrev:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Those of you who take an interest in the LaTeX3 SVN may have noticed
>> that I've just added the beginnings of a 'l3fp' module as part of
>> expl3. This is intended to provide a set of floating point functions
>> for LaTeX3.
> [snip]
>> In terms of input range, I've gone for -999999999.999999999 to
>> +999999999.999999999. This should be sufficient for a wide range of
>> purposes (for example, if you convert a dimen into a floating point
>> number in units pt then you are safe for any dimen TeX can handle).
>
> I was as confused by this as J.Fine, but it now seems clear that you've
> implemented a fixed point arithmetic package that possibly will become a
> floating point arithmetic package.

Apologies for my lack of precision. I've now updated the code to state
explicitly "fixed-point" arithmetic. I've also made some experiments
with true floating points. There are good reasons to support these (for
example, look at pgfplots and its approach to handling experimental
data). However, the extra complexity looks a bit steep to me, at least
initially. For the moment I will concentrate on a full set of fixed
point features, and then look again at floating point input when the
exact requirements are clearer.