From:
Will Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2008 22:28:52 +0930
On 15/05/2008, at 9:17 PM, David Kastrup wrote:

> My opinion is that the easiest way to do this would be to place
> appropriate *.enc files or a whole inputenc.sty into the local search
> path of XeTeX resp. LuaTeX.

In the case of XeTeX, at this stage it'd definitely be a case of a new
copy of inputenc.sty.

> It may be a LPPL conflict to do so since IIRC the file name is
> protected
> rather than the whole path.

Luckily for us, the LPPL no longer mandates that filenames are
protected :) As long as we make our intentions known, and I print a
big fat warning in the XeTeX version of inputenc, I agree this is the
easiest way.

> I would propose that we ask on the XeTeX and LuaTeX lists for help.
> If
> we are doing the actual folding and file layout design (one could also
> use different extensions rather than different search paths), there
> won't be any LPPL problems I think.

I don't particularly want to fork LaTeX if I can help it :)

I'll go away and bash out a quick attempt at what this file might do
(for XeTeX; I don't have time to dive into LuaTeX until next year at
least) and we'll go from there... (although it's not too late to
change my mind if other LaTeX team members feel that updating the
canonical version of inputenc is a better idea).

Thanks for the quick replies,
Will