Sender:
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2007 22:39:56 +0200
From:
Andreas,

I think you got the subject quite right when you wrote that \tlp_use:N is
harmful. When we experimented with the various data types it seemed logical at
first glance to include a "use" for tlps but personally I always was kind of
sceptical (and usually didn't use it) and your example gives a good reason why
it isn't really workable.

So I think the spec here should be that tlps hold tokens and their "use" is to
put the tlp into the input stream directly. after all TeX's model of execution
is to simply go through the input token list and expand and execute them one
by one and a tlp is simply a storage bin for such a sequence of input tokens.

However, I'm not sure that from this it should follow that one can use (or
should use) a tlp in arguments of commands and expect them to automatically
expand to the tlp content, or more exactly I think one should not, so

  \prop_gput:Ooo \l_tmp_tlp

rather than

  \prop_gput:Noo \l_tmp_tlp

hoping that the prop module will do the expansion to arrive at a plist
variable in its first argument

higher level data types since if you pass

 > Here is an example that actually does what I want it to, but might not
 > be considered clean code since it depends on implementation details:
 >
 >   \RequirePackage{l3prop}
 >   \ExplSyntaxOn
 >
 >   \tlp_new:Nn \a_tlp {aaa}
 >   \tlp_new:Nn \b_tlp {bbb\a_tlp}
 >
 >   \prop_new:N \a_plist
 >   \prop_gput:Nno \a_plist {key} {\b_tlp}
 >   \showthe\a_plist

the above gives you

   bbb\a_tlp  and not bbbaaa

as value. if that is what you wanted then I would say with the spec that the
"use" of tlps is to simply put them into the input stream the above wouldn't
use implementation details but specification details.

 > So I wonder if \tlp_use:N should be considered harmful. It seems
 > to be equal to \toks_use:N or \int_use:N, but definitely isn't.

yes i agree

 > And then: What's the error message in \tlp_use:N for? It looks
 > so arbitrarily. Probably it's not?

well I don't know when that was added, but i can see some logic behind it (not
that i think it is worth having really (as i think one should get rid of the
whole cmd). I think the idea was that a tlp is a storage bin so could never be
"\scan_stop:", but either "empty" or contains a list of tokens. So
"\scan_stop:" means something like \tlp_use:c tried to use a tlp that simply
doesn't exist

cheers
frank

ps speaking of using implementation details: one of the reason why xor was so
broken was that xmarks.dtx used the knowledge that plists were implementated
as sequences (via macros) in a bad manner and after (I think) Morten
reimplemented the property module using toks that had serious implications