From:
Lars Hellström <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:40:17 +0200
Thierry wrote:
>Hi Lars,
>
>I'm not sure i agree with you. The interword space  that is relevant
>is located between the base line and the x-height line in a font.
>I'm not disturbed by fonts like baskerville where the sequence
><period><space><J> leaves a correct space between the point and the
>vertical stem of the J, although its tail almost goes to the left of
>the vertical of the point.

Hmm... That's something different---the tail of J in baskerville is below
the baseline, and overshoots there aren't very disturbing. In the font I
wrote about, _every_ glyph seemed to have been shifted to the left by some
fixed amount, sort of what would be the result of doing (for every glyph):

  \resetglyph{a}
     \movert{-100}  \glyph{a}{1000}  \movert{100}
  \endresetglyph

With an interword space of 250/1000em, a maximal shrink of 240/1000 of the
space (the setting from fontinst's t1.etx), and an additional optical
adjustment of 1/10em, there's only 90/1000em left of the space right before
something italic. I would find that disturbing.

>Side-bearings are adjusted for the typical case where a cap is
>followed by a lowercase letter, and lc are inside a word between two
>other lc letters. What I'd need is super metrics with kerns to the
>left/right-word boundary in order to adapt the side-bearings to that
>situation, i even dream of  <boundary line> characters allowing kerns
>for optical justification. Plus cap-cap kerns fot all-caps words, +...

Setting kerns is up to the font designer, but where should one put a kern
to adjust for font changes? I think font change adjustments are up to the
macro package in use to make, but of course the font must then be able to
specify its deviation from the standard, which was what my suggestion was
all about.

Lars Hellström