From:
Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:49:20 +0000
Martin Schröder wrote:

> However, most of these aims bring no direct benefit for the user,
> while other areas where LaTeX is sorely showing it's age, e.g.
> hyperref, are missing. I think any LaTeX3 release without a direct
> integration of hyperref's features will not attract many users. The
> same goes for document classes (e.g. KOMA) and a much better
> integration of utf8 and fonts.

Perhaps I should have been more explicit about how I see the user
benefits coming out. It's not clear what will actually happen about user
syntax, so I think for the moment that has to be left out of the
equation.  However, point (2) in my list covers a LOT of things.  I'd
expect the expanded kernel to include things like hyperref, everything
that KOMA/memoir can do, and probably a lot more (for example, I'd
consider biblatex, things like critical edition tools, etc.).  Things
like UTF handling and a better font interface are also, I'm sure, in  mind.

The point about separating out design, code and use also means that the
various "hacks" you need at the user level to achieve simple things (for
example, altering \@biblabel comes to mind as a pain) should be a lot
easier.