Sender:
From:
Will Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:27:26 +1030
On 23/02/2009, at 7:00 PM, Joseph Wright wrote:

> I've had some interesting comments to my latest blog post:
>
> http://www.texdev.net/2009/02/22/latex3-as-a-low-level-language/
>
> where, amongst other things, I've suggested a "LaTeX3 microkernel".  I
> wonder how other people see the issues raised.

Well, I did already comment :)

All of this apparent conflict between expl3 and LuaTeX is getting a
bit tiring. Nothing much we can do about that, I suppose.

Anyway, for now our obvious priority are the xpackages and I'd like to
think that once all this re-architecting has happened we can spend
more time playing around with user interfaces.

However, I still believe in the short-term that it's the code that
works in LaTeX2e right now (i.e., expl3) that will provide the most
benefits for some time in the LaTeX community.

For example, I'd still like to maintain fontspec under both XeTeX and
LuaTeX, and the functionality I've been thinking of are simply not
going to happen without the higher level programming features of expl3.

Anyway, I'm off to watch a movie. Keep up the good work!

Will