Sender:
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 2013 09:48:11 +1300
From:
Andrew Parsloe <[log in to unmask]>
On 26/10/2013 8:59 a.m., Joseph Wright wrote:
> On 19/10/2013 09:05, Andrew Parsloe wrote:
>> I thought (naively) that writing
>>
>> \tl_set:Nx \l_tmpa_tl { \tl_to_uppercase:n {text} }
>>
>> would put TEXT in the variable \l_tmpa_tl (as revealed by \tl_show:N
>> \l_tmpa_tl). It doesn't, and nothing else that I've tried does either.
>> What is the recipe for getting \l_tmpa_tl to contain TEXT, starting from
>> text?
>>
>> Andrew
>
> As others have said, the current \tl_to_uppercase:n doesn't work as
> you'd expect here and you need \tl_expandable_uppercase:n. We (the team)
> know that \tl_to_uppercase:n is currently 'wrong' but haven't agreed on
> a 'good' solution. (See https://github.com/latex3/svn-mirror/issues/141
> for more)
>
> Broadly, there are three cases we can thing of:
>
>   - You want to make 'text' upper case for example for headings
>   - You want to make 'strings' lower case for example for file name
>     checks, case-insensitive ordering, etc.
>   - You want to make 'weird' chars (catcode tricks with \lowercase
>     primitive)
>
> The three different use cases need different interfaces and
> implementations, but getting to a point were we agree on what to do is
> tricky!

Thanks for the explanation. I was wanting case-insensitive sorting.

I'm new to LaTeX3 and expl -- "discovered" them about mid-August. My
previous "record" of TeX coding was about 8 lines. But with expl I
managed to put together a package of nearly 1200 lines, perhaps 800 of
them being actual coding lines. That's two orders of magnitude more
productive. The package, based on l3fp, is designed to exploit the LyX
document processor's "instant preview" facility and dynamically evaluate
formulae "before one's eyes":

http://marc.info/?l=lyx-users&m=138122526923848&w=2

It was received with an absolutely thunderous silence.

Andrew