From:
Heiko Oberdiek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2009 22:49:23 +0100
On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 10:14:39PM +0100, Frank Mittelbach wrote:

> I agree with David, that such an integration would be best placed in
> pdftex.def, wouldn't it? Or am we missing something?

* The method of epstopdf is also useful for other drivers.
  I don't know a driver that supports all image formats.
* grffile
* bmpsize
* ...

> the .def file concept has been invented precisely for hiding the interface
> pecularies from the high-level interface that is used in the LaTeX source and
> that is precisely what we need here, or?

I would rather say a new design for the missing stuff is needed, e.g.:
* interface for .def files
* command line options, program configuration
* ...

However, I doubt there will be enough energy to heat graphicx.
Thus designing and writing a successor for graphicx seems the
easier road. A candidate for this would be me because of my
packages (see above). I am tempted, but I fear and know that
I don't have the time for it (next weeks and months).

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <[log in to unmask]>