Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:06:18 +0000
From:
"Mittelbach, Frank" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Hallo Heiko,

I'm sorry for the trouble with the gnats system it is unfortunately not the best possible interface. You actually managed to reach the bug database each time, what you didn't manage was to reach it in a way that your mail shows up on the web.

Here are the rules (as far as I remember them - if mistaken, I'm sure Rainer will correct me)

To answer a bug entry:

 - you send mail to [log in to unmask]

  - to avoid generating a new bug entry this way you need to use a subject line that contains <category>/<number> at the beginning (if think stuff like Re: etc is possible

  - you can have additional text in the subject and it doesn't have to match the original bug synopsis

  - if you do the above the entry will end up in the database but it will not show up on the web and it will be distributed internally but not back to the original poster (that's the way gants works)

  - if you want it to appear on the web you need to explicitly include the original poster on CC or To:

And that actually is the catch: with so much misuse and email adress harvesting the email addresses are no longer shown and so there isn't really any way for you to do that

Not sure what the best way is, perhaps in a case like this, open a new bug report and crossref though that isn't really a good solution either. What I can do is to take your reply and add it again with cc to the originator s othat he/she gets it and it shows on the web (not from here but tonight)

Frank