Sender:
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2010 13:23:58 +0000
From:
Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
On 10/02/2010 12:22, Chris Rowley wrote:
> Apologies for the brevity.

Brevity is good if all the data are there :-)

> Also note that (as maybe someone already pointed out) in general a 'string of Unicode characters' is itself a rather slippery beast.  Thus when you 'put Unicode inside TeX' (whatever nmeaning you give that phrase) strings could be even more underspecified than Lars' list shows.

My take on this is that LaTeX3 should not do things like the current
inputenc approach to utf8. There are perfectly good UTF-8 engines, and
so I'm in favour of sticking to 8-bit input only with an 8-bit engine.
So I would prefer it if each character was a character, with no danger
of awkwardness.