Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2010 20:29:12 +0100
Sender:
From:
Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Hello all,

The recent discussion about expl3 updates breaking unicode-math has
prompted the team to look again engine-variation in expl3. In
particular, the approach of using category code tables for
\ExplSyntax..., while attractive, leads to problems as the behaviour of
different engines is too different. Thus this idea is being removed from
expl3, with the standard method being used to set up the code
environment irrespective of the engine in use.

This does not mean that support for category code tables themselves is
dropped. When used with LuaTeX, expl3 (as a package or in format mode)
provides a mechanism for managing category code tables and associated
macros. For the expl3 package, this is done by loading Heiko Oberdiek's
luatex package, whereas in format mode the same ideas are implemented
directly.

There will be a CTAN update of expl3 soon (by the weekend, I hope). This
will include these changes (along with others: see my other e-mails).