From:
Will Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 2009 21:02:11 +1030
On 10/11/2009, at 5:40 PM, Ulrich Dirr wrote:

> I don't know if I understand everything and how powerful and
> flexible the
> new concept will be.

At the level that Frank is taking about, he's discussing what
different sorts of information can be used to format an arbitrary
section heading. But the important thing to remember is that this is
not the user interface.

The idea of an "object type" in xtemplate refers only to the
information given to it, not how that information eventually ends up
in the typeset document.

> My concern was that if putting all in one 'heading' command in some
> cases it
> will get overloaded and unreadable ...

Don't worry, this can all be handled by optional/keyval arguments at
the document level. But it's important to design the "heading" object
sufficiently generally that it can handle most sensible document
designs.

In my head I imagine something like

\section{Main Title That is Very Long and Involves Lots of Things}
   [
     label = main-title ,
     toc-entry = Main Title That is Very Long ,
     header-entry = Main Title ,
     numbered = false
   ]

or something like that. Internally, this might end up as the
equivalent of

\TheTemplateThatProcessesUnnumberedSections
   {Main Title That is Very Long and Involves Lots of Things}
   {main-title}
   {Main Title That is Very Long}
   {Main Title}
   {}{}{}% <- depending on any extra arguments for author info, etc.

but because it's all internal (and obviously that control sequence is
fictitious) the actual arrangements of the arguments aren't important.

> Is it possible to attach files? Anyway I give it a try and attach a
> sample
> of two pages of the book toc I've been talking above.

Nice example, thanks.

-- Will