From:
Khaled Hosny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2011 21:06:15 +0200
On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 05:47:29PM +0100, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> am Sonntag, 2. Januar 2011 um 00:07 schrieb Khaled Hosny:
>
> >> There is quite a large body of stuff which doesn't really need
> >> LuaTeX: stuff in western European languages using fonts already
> >> available to TeX. I suspect that forcing this subset of work to drop
> >> pdfTeX, which is quite capable of doing the job, might be consider a
> >> bit 'over the top'.
>
> > Even for "western European languages" Unicode and smart fonts (both not
> > supported "natively" pdftex) have been the norm for decades now; 8bit
> > encodings and type1 fonts are obsolete and almost nobody outside tex
> > community is using them.
>
> I don't care if e.g. the T1-encoded type1 font lmr were dropped in the
> long run. With the unicode/eu1/eu2-encoded open type version there
> exist a good replacement.
>
> But I would be very unhappy if support for local (8-bit or other)
> encodings and type1 fonts were dropped completly: I need them for the
> chess fonts. I can't use unicode for them - most glyphs don't have
> unicode points. And even if all glyphs were in unicode: most chess
> fonts are too old to follow the unicode standard. I also can't use
> open type or ttf fonts directly as neither with xetex nor with luatex
> I'm currently able to reencode the fonts like I can do it with an
> type1-fonts and an enc-file.

That is my point, I don't think luatex is dropping old stuff any time
soon, so people who need it can still use it (of course IMO it should be
kept just for compatibility not as the main thing) and people who need
new stuff can use it, instead of just remaining limited to the former.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny