Lars Madsen <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 28 Oct 2010 15:50:36 +0200
On 2010-10-28 15:33, Uwe Lueck wrote:
> "Robin Fairbairns"<[log in to unmask]>, 28.10.2010 13:54:02
>> Uwe Lueck  wrote:
>>> This also reminds me of memoir.cls, "endorsing" (copying) certain
>>> "standard" packages; yet I have never studied by which commands the
>>> features of those packages are accessed by the user.
>>
>> memoir uses the code of packages that peter wilson wrote as he was
>> designing ... memoir.  i don't think i would have spotted the purpose of
>> the packages if peter hadn't occasionally mentioned it when submitting
>> packages.
>
> In the first instance, once I learnt it from Lars Madsen. Now I have found
> patchcmd, (on searching for ` package ': ) array, dcolumn, delarray,
> tabularx, booktabs. I also once found the special footnote styles
> according to TeXbook pp. 395ff., probably from EDMAC via ledmac.
>
> The latter is a real gain because ledmac itself has turned out to be
> incompatible with a number of standard packages (due to its method
> of numbering lines, I think) -- and moreover, the "columnar" footnote
> style isn't available from manyfoot.
>
>> as a development strategy, it seems quite neat, to me ... but it does
>> make faq answer-writing a little tortuous: "you can use memoir or
>> koma-script or package x, y or z to do this; package y is actually part
>> of memoir".
>
> When I learnt this about memoir, I found it remarkable as I had been
> urged to create such an "all-in-one-package" earlier (I didn't).
>
> Cheers,
>
>      Uwe.

Many of the 30+ packages that are included in memoir comes from other
sources, some are copied verbatim (e.g. the framed package), for others
we provide similar functionality (e.g. the setspace package)

At the moment I'm considering assimilating placeins such that memoir has
\FloatBarrier by default, plus some features from ccaption which is
missing in memoir, these will also be added.

BTW: does anyone have code code which can be added to memoir such that
we could provide footnotes that span the \textwidth when the document is
in twocolumn mode? for now they are just at the bottom of the column

/daleif