Sender:
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2008 08:15:42 +0000
From:
Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Frank Mittelbach wrote:

> you must be a fast talker: 37 slides in 20 minutes ...

Beamer slides: the overlays all appear to be separate "pages"!

>  > User Group Speaker Meeting. I've put the slides I used on my website
>  > (http://www.morningstar2.demon.co.uk/talks/LaTeX3-from-outside.pdf) so
>  > that people can see what I discussed.
>
> I think this is a nice outside view on what is there right now. do you mind if
> we add this to the latex project web site with some suitable title to get it
> to some broader audience?

Of course, go for it.  I've posted the source on my website at:

http://www.morningstar2.demon.co.uk/talks/LaTeX3-from-outside.tex

so you can take the useful bits and drop the rest.  Karl Berry has also
asked me to summarise what I said for TUGBoat.  I'm hoping to get a
short (2-3 page) draft written by the weekend.  The draft will also go
up on my website once I'm happy with it: I'll post an e-mail here when
that happens.

>  > On the
>  > "readiness" side, I also pointed out that there are still a few rough
>  > edges (for example, \etex_scantokens:D and the l3messages module).
>
> i respectfully disagree: l3messages is just leftover rubbish ... and we should
> simply do some drawing board exercise and design something suitable (i think i
> said this before)

Perhaps I wasn't clear in what I meant here.  I'd agree that l3messages
needs to be re-written basically from scratch.  However, my point was
that as a percentage of the whole, this is quite small (even allowing
for the minor issues that come up from time to time). So I'd say that
the programming is basically there, although I know that there is a
re-factor coming.

By the way, as part of the re-factor I'd like to "push" for something
definite being decided about keyval support.  This is a
programming-level thing, and is probably the single most obvious missing
part at that level.