Sender:
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2011 11:04:20 +0100
From:
Arno Trautmann <[log in to unmask]>
Karl Berry wrote:
>     I just thought it might be good to have an argument type that reads an
>     argument until the end of line. That would be a special version of the u
>     type, I think, but the normal user will not be able to specify it that
>     way.
>     Any comments?
>
> Based on my experience with Texinfo, my comment is that robust parsing
> of arguments delimited by end-of-line is essentially impossible.  I
> fully agree with Joseph: I wouldn't go there.

What about an non-robust solution? ;)
No, seriously: Would it be aceptable (generally spoken) to offer
non-robust solutions istead of no solution at all?

>     (Also I'm not sure about different line endings in *nix and Windows.)
>
> That isn't the problem.  The engines have always unified the various
> platform-specific line endings to \endlinechar (otherwise TeX
> portability would be a nonstarter).  The problem is distinguishing eol
> from space (gets converted very early in processing), handling the
> contexts of active eol vs. normal eol, doing all this inside other
> macros, etc. ... it's a steep and slippery slope.
>
> If you want to convert from TeX to OOo, my suggestion is to use an
> external program.  An eol-delimited macro will hardly be a panacea for
> that job, as you yourself pointed out.

Yes, but I wanted it just for this very special thing. I hoped that it
would be possible with some TeX-trickery or so …
Maybe luaTeX could help here?
With external programs I did not succeed in converting a single
document, but that is all my fault.

Thanks for your answers,
Arno