Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2011 14:57:28 +0200
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Ulrike Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Am Sun, 11 Sep 2011 20:31:01 +0100 schrieb Joseph Wright:

> Hello all,
>
> Currently, provision of scratch variables (such as \l_tmpa_tl) is
> somewhat inconsistent in expl3. However, it is also not entirely clear
> if these 'general scratch' variables are really idea in any case. Do
> people see a general need for these variables, or will most users expect
> to define their own scratch space in all cases?

Well on the one side I still feel the urge to avoid to waste
ressources. But on the other side at soon as user input is involved
it can get difficult to be sure that code from other packages don't
meddle with the scratch variables. So actually I use them only
seldom.

The only scratch "variable" which I think is really useful is a
scratch read/write ressource.

--
Ulrike Fischer