Sender:
From:
Robin Fairbairns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 22:42:48 +0000
reinhard kotucha writes:

> Maybe we have to think about the order the macros are attached to the
> hook.

but everyone seems to _know_ that a bop-hook function is the thing to
do, so surely they've thought about trivia like this already.

> If the hook is used by a class and a package, the class would
> put the first element to the list and the package the second.  The
> order is important since that is the order the stuff is printed. Maybe
> the templates can help to control the behavior.

i continue bemused by this thing.  we have (what seems to me) a
perfectly adequate mechanism for adding stuff to the printed page,
over and above the regular run of document body -- we have the page
header and footer mechanisms that the output routine already calls.  i
don't see what a `printing' bop-hook is going to do that these
mechanisms don't already enable.  hell, the header/footer mechanisms
already _are_ hooks.

what we don't have is the means to execute bits of code that directly
affect the way the output routine operates.  if you want to affect the
way footnotes are generated, you have to patch the output routine.
there's no existing hook that helps you -- you have to get in there
and patch.

now, i've no clear model of how we might write an output routine that
would facilitate this sort of thing, but it sure as hell isn't by
adding bits of code at the start of a page.

robin

speaking for myself.  i don't know what frank's up to either.