Sender:
From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 23:28:17 +0200
I think that the letter class should have some additional features:

The letter style I use is

from_address                         date

to_address

[Dear Foo Bar,]

                            signature

whereas the LaTeX letter style puts the from_address to the right, and the
to_address, if present, somewhere else.

In addition, the LaTeX style has a strange text formatting, which really is
an emulation of a style used for mono-spaced fonts (like when using a
typewriter), namely, no paragraph indent with an empty line signifying a
new paragraph instead.-- Once upon the time, when typeset letters were a
novelty, it might have been suitable to emulate this, but nowadays, it
appears at least that one should have easy access to a normal typeset look.

Of course, I have written a style file overriding these LaTeX defaults, but
I think that these simple features should easy to choose. In addition, with
new version of LaTeX, one must maintain the style overrides.

So I suggest that one has the following commands
-- When date & address are adjusted the same, one should possibly be able
     to decide which one is above.

\CornyLaTeXTypewriteEmulation & \NormalTypeset modes for the text body.

-- Possibly a way to decide where to put the to_address field.

takes the place of the space allocated for the handwritten signature.
-- The signature could also be left, center or right adjusted. I have never
seen the center adjustment, but the left adjust exists, perhaps influenced
from email and the like.

  Hans Aberg