From:
Will Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2008 13:08:55 +1030
On 06/12/2008, at 7:19 AM, Frank Mittelbach wrote:

> I'm coming somewhat late to this discussion, but ...
>
> TeX (and as such expl3) deals with tokens and the replacement text
> of a macro
> without arguments is a list of tokens and not a list of characters
> or a string
> or...
>
> the contents of a toks register too is a list of tokens
>
> they are not the same in the way they can be accessed or manipulated
> but their
> content is the same.

The more this is discussed the more I think that toks and tlp are fine
names, and I wasn't thinking about changing them when I brought this up.

I was just wondering if there was a short way to distinguish between
what sort of material a toks and a tlp can contain. (I must have
worded this particularly poorly.)

So in the documentation when we write

   \toks_set:Nn <toks> {<token list>}

cf.

   \tlp_set:Nn <tlp> {<token list>}

there might be some way of distinguishing the token list in the former
compared to the latter.

* * *

I'm still thinking there's nothing we can do but refer to the contents
of both as "token lists" and just mention the differences at the
beginning of l3tlp and l3toks.

Will