David Carlisle <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 16 Jan 2017 10:41:03 +0000
On 16/01/2017 10:23, Andrew Parsloe wrote:
> I'm not qualified to argue about the use of \mode_if_inner:TF beyond
> saying that it has correctly worked to date.

Any apparent correspondence between inner and outer math and
displaystyle and textstyle is more or less accidental.

Consider

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{amsmath}

\newcommand\test[1]{%
\relax\ifinner\typeout{#1 inner}\else\typeout{#1 outer}\fi
\sum_0^n
}
\begin{document}

$\test{$}$

\[\test{[} \left(\test{[2}\right) \]

\begin{eqnarray}
\test{eqnarray} &=&0
\end{eqnarray}

\begin{align}
\test{align}&=1
\end{align}

\end{document}

all but the first sum is set in display math mode but all but the second
have ifinner true.

$ inner
[ outer
[2 inner
eqnarray inner
align inner
align inner

David

The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 1249803. The registered office is:

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Microsoft Office 365.