From:
David Carlisle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2014 14:29:05 +0100
On 30/04/2014 13:59, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

>> yes agreed although rather than inputenc try to guess that the font
>>  encoding isn't going to work it would probably be better if
>> fontenc warned if it was on xe/latex with utf8 input encoding that
>> it can't load unicode fonts.
>
> That's not a good idea.

well by "with utf8 encoding" I somewhat loosely meant using a native
unicode encoding at the point you are selecting an 8bit font.

ie something like

> fontenc could check - if it has been loaded after fontspec (that
> means \f@encoding is EU1 or EU2). Normally this is not intended. - if
> at begin document \f@encoding is EU1 or EU2 and issue a warning if
> not.

But I wasn't suggesting doing anything this time as (as seen with
inputenc) getting the timing and order of tests right to cope with
existing usage is likely to be tricky.

My point was mainly that any warnings about the need to use fontspec
rather than fontenc with lualatex is really something those two packages
need to handle, inputenc can't do it as you can get the problem without
even loading inputenc.

David