Karl Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 19:52:54 -0500
Hi Chris,

    I think that what I am trying to achieve is something that would look
    like it was born in MS Word or one of its OSS clones rather than in a
    printer's shop.

Try including only the second one:
\usepackage{mathptmx}

You should get Times Roman, which is the default in Word.

    what would appear to be two maths package should result in a font
    switch.

You're right that it's a peculiar name.  The "tm" buried in there is
actually an abbreviation for Times (don't ask).

Background in case you care: The thing is that TeX has been around so
long, all the obvious names (like \usepackage{times}) were used long
ago.  The new package (mathptmx) has different (and better) behavior
than the old, and to keep old documents working, we don't want to change
the behavior without also changing the name.  Having the plethora of
different names is a downside in itself, granted, but breaking old
documents seems worse, so ... here we are.

Happy typesetting,
Karl