Sender:
From:
James Kilfiger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 13:46:35 +0100
> I am pleased to announce that the first public test release of [the
> template] code is now available from the project web site.

Thoughts on template loading.

There seems to me to be a qualitative difference between the
\DeclareTemplate command and the \DeclareInstance, \UseInstance and
xparse commands.  FMi mentions that \DeclareTemplate is not for end
users, not even for class-writers.  This is somewhat similar to nfss
\DeclareFontShape compared with \fontshape{..} or \itshape. Perhaps a
similar scheme would be useful.

My idea is that templates could be put into files named <type>.td
When the class or package writer says
  \DeclareInstance{<type>}{<name>}{...}
the system would first check if a template of that type/name is known,
if not then attempt to load <type>.td.  The analogy is with .fd loading.

This would separate out the low-level Tex from the declaration of
instances and document commands, and would be easier than loading
packages containing template definitions by hand.  It would also make
distribution of templates easier. There would also be a distinction in
file name between classes and packages -- for loading by end-users, and
template definition files -- for loading by classes and packages.

Also are there plans to release any experimental template definitions,
to supplement the two caption templates and the initial example on the
slides?

        James