Sender:
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2012 14:13:56 +0100
From:
Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
On 26/09/2012 12:38, Lars Hellström wrote:
> I'd suggest that you initially set up a dedicated e-mail address which
> redirects to LATEX-L.
>
> The rationale for the latter is that in order to establish a convention,
> it is seldom sufficient to just post the rules and set up the
> administrative machinery; one must also raise communal awareness of the
> convention. One of the most effective ways of doing this is to let
> members of the community observe how others are following the
> convention, but that won't happen if traffic goes to a list only seen by
> team members.
>
> The point of having a dedicated email address is that if it later turns
> out that LATEX-L is getting flooded by this (IMHO unlikely, especially
> in view of how much LATEX-L traffic historically varies anyway) then you
> can change the forward to the team list. Or alternatively switch to some
> manner of digest format. Having a separate email address also simplifies
> regularising the postings before forwarding them, e.g. using a specific
> Subject heading to make it easier to search for these messages later.
>
> Lars Hellström

All sounds reasonable, with the only issue being I don't actually have
the ability to do anything about it :-) (I'll need to talk to Rainer).

Assuming it is feasible, what would be a sensible address? My first
thought is

or

An alternative would be to go with the plan that messages are sent to
the team list (which already exists), and that we (I) post a formalised
message to LaTeX-L before adding to the master list, in a similar way to
how CTAN 'new package' announcements are made. Something like

  *Subject* Module prefix registration: X

  The LaTeX3 module prefix X was registered on <date> with the
  following details.

  Module name: ...

The downside here is that the team (or at least some of us) get the
messages twice. I think that's probably survivable :-)