From:
David Kastrup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2008 18:28:33 +0200
William F Hammond <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Will Robertson <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>
>> I'm happy to maintain such a package that's intended to live in tex/
>> xelatex/inputenc.sty if you like; otherwise, it should probably be
>> rolled into inputenc.sty proper.
>
> Although I don't understand the details, I think it would be best if a
> maximal collection of "old" LaTeX files will sail seamlessly through
> xelatex, and I suppose that would mean accommodation in the regular
> inputenc.

The maximal collection with maximal compatibility would just switch
XeTeX to 8bit-transparency (aka latin-1) and use the normal inputenc on
top of that.

But that would give us bug and awkwardness and performance hit
compatibility and 8bit-boundedness as well.  I don't think that is
something that many would be happy with.

> I hope that texlive 2008 deadlines don't interfere with doing it
> right.

Probably will, but if we have good arguments, we can probably bargain
for some headroom.

--
David Kastrup