Sender:
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2013 11:38:29 +0000
From:
Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
On 11/01/2013 14:41, Alexander Grahn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am asking for a future-save file handle that allows package authors to
> write to the standard \jobname.aux file, using \iow_* functions from the
> l3file package.
>
> I guess that many L2e package authors use *.aux in order to avoid
> inventing private aux-file endings which may already be in use and
> which would give rise to conflict. Moreover, reading in \jobname.aux
> \AtBeginDocument is already been taken care of.
>
> Another idea would be to implement dedicated functions to write to
> \jobname.aux in analogy to the already existing ones in l3file.
>
> Kind regards,
> Alexander

At present, I'd say this is an area where you have to accept some
overlap between L2e and L3, in that there is little point in simply
providing an alternative name for \@auxout without thinking about the
overall mechanism.

I suspect it's likely that we'll want something not-dissimilar from the
LaTeX2e approach in 'pure' L3 code, but don't see that this is an urgent
thing to deal with right now.