From:
Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2012 17:59:47 +0000
Hello all,

As I suggested a few weeks ago, I'm keen to formalise to some extent how
LaTeX3 code-level module prefixes are managed. My suggestion was a
simple flat-file list containing the information, and I have made a
start on such a list for team material at
https://github.com/latex3/svn-mirror/blob/master/l3kernel/l3prefixes.csv. Note
that at this stage the list covers only prefixes that are in use in code
which the team sends to CTAN.

The next stage is to ask for the same information from people using
expl3 in release code. To do that, we have set up a separate e-mail address

to which requests to register a module should be sent.

The .csv file shows what information I currently think might be sensible
to have available: which fields to provide information for is down to
individual programmers.

The registration process will I hope work something like a CTAN upload:
after receiving a registration, one of the team will add the information
to the .csv file and then make a formalised announcement to LaTeX-L.

Obviously, this is a new process and there may be some adjustments
needed over time. The key aim is to have a much better idea of what is
and is not 'safe' to use for programmers developing new code using
expl3, and to make it easier to find where to report issues starting
from a piece of code.