Sender:
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2010 21:53:19 +0200
From:
Arno Trautmann <[log in to unmask]>
Hi all!

Will Robertson wrote:
> Do you think it would be a good addition to expl3 to formalise this sort of programming structure? I guess it would be something like
>
> \begin_active_char:n {^^@}
> \end_active_char:
>
> which doesn't really gain us too much.
>
> What if ^^@ were *always* active as part of the expl3 syntax?
>
> Just thinking out loud, really. Comments, thoughts?

Messing around a lot with active characters, I’d love to have a simple
interface for defining them. (And also taking care of verbatim etc.)
A very nice thing for the ”normal“ package author would be some macro

\define_active_char:Nn <character> {<code>}

which makes the <character> active and assigns the given code to it,
internally using the code that Will wrote.
I don’t know if it’s a good idea to make ^^@ always active. No reason
for this, just a gut feeling about too many active chars.

cheers
Arno