From:
Morten Høgholm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2008 14:56:23 +0200
On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Joseph Wright
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I've been looking at the current expl3 work, and I'm wondering about the
> planned direction with keyval stuff.  The current l3keyval only covers
> some very basic functions, and it's not clear to me whether this will be
> extended to higher-level commands.

It will. So far only data extraction was done because a) it was needed
and b) I need to sit down, preferably with someone, and take a good
look at how to tackle this. Judging from the hacks we see in pstricks
and many other packages, the current approach as implemented in keyval
is insufficient. The model used in pgf looks interesting.

How the keyvals are used depends on the circumstances. If you take a
look at template, it both runs traditional "turn key into csname, then
assign it a value" but also contains a more complex run when declaring
the template. In the latter instance, the value in fact consists of
individual values, each requiring different action.

> My current method is to hack kvoptions to do the right sort of thing
> (for example, modifying \DeclareStringoption to add both a pre- and
> postfix to the string macro name).  However, if no-one else is likely to
> work on this in the near future I can perhaps see whether I can produce
> some basic macros in this area (for preference I'd probably adopt the
> pgfopts model, which I find quite accessible).

Please do go ahead.

--
Morten