From:
Date:
Sat, 18 Jul 2015 12:05:13 +0200
Am 18.07.2015 um 10:59 schrieb Stephan Hennig:
> As I understand it, you're trying to make the luatexbase package
> obsolete.  Which a) puts additional maintenance burden on the LaTeX team

there is maintenance burden either way.

If there is code added to the format that is not identified (as part of
the format) nor necessarily in sync with the format it means that

a) we can't test LaTeX with luatex
b) we get bug reports from lualatex users that we can neither verify nor
do much about it

so the main purpose for us is to provide a stable and understood base
format that if it identifies itself as LaTeX X.Y.Z it provides identical
results (per engine) and understandable results across engines

also having allocation methods done up front means that there will be
only one scheme (not multiple) which gets you into the package rage issues

> and b) means that new features related to resource allocation will be
> released in sync with new LaTeX versions only (as resource allocation is
> completely implemented as part of the format).

right (at least for the broader mass) which is  imho a good thing.
Perhaps so much if LaTeX releases are only happening only every couple
of years, but then we are currently in the process of setting things up
so that this can (and will) happen more often again.

on the other hand once the base allocations are all provided that is not
likely to be an area of much mods - and cutting edge/experimental stuff
you can still do on a package level if really necessary