Sender:
From:
Phillip Helbig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 19:39:19 GMT
Maarten Gelderman <[log in to unmask]>:

  Otherwise, I had in my mind the index cards of a libarary: A Swedish
amthematician named Hvrmander might be sorted under Hoermander in some
English libraries, which is more difficult to find than Hormander (because
the translation v -> oe is not common in Sweden).
                ^
This is something which needs to be considered.  There are many ways to
treat things like v (this is the same as the letter marked above if it
gets garbled by some email software along the way).

   o  treat it as a separate letter (in Swedish it's the last letter of
      the alphabet)

   o  treat it as o (common practice in English, mixing it with things
      really written with o)

   o  treat it as oe, mixing it with things REALLY written with oe
      (this is done in German telephone books)

   o  put it immediately before o

   o  put it immediately after o

   o  put it immediately before oe

   o  put it immediately after oe

I've definitely seen the first three in use.  The rest are thinkable. In
German, sometimes (such as in address books, file collections etc) Th,
Ph, Chr, Sch, St etc, either as the beginnings of words or as initials
of names (one sees both), are treated as essentially separate letters,
usually coming after the first letter of the group (corresponding to
example 5 above).

--
Phillip Helbig                          Email ... [log in to unmask]
Nuffield Radio Astronomy Laboratories   Tel. ..... +44 1477 571 321 (ext. 297)