From:
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 19:18:02 +0200
Johannes Kuester writes:

 > Yes, and rsfs is enough `scripty' I suppose, but it is still
 > lacking the lowercase letters. This was one suggestion/topic
 > in the article of Justin Ziegler (TeXnical working group on
 > extended math font encoding), but that was about one and a half
 > year ago and I haven't heard of that ever since.

just for the record. Justin's work was sponsored by GUTenberg,
University of Mainz and the LaTeX3 project. He worked closely with the
corresponding TWG from TUG but his work is not a direct outcome of
this TWG. In fact Justin was directly supervised by Alan Jeffrey and
me (he was working at Mainz during that time)

Johannes remark that Justin's work is right now sitting there and
nothing seems to happen is unfortunately true.

The situation as I see it is as follows: Justin produce a large number
of important basic papers that gave us new and important
information on various aspects of math fonts within the TeX system
(limitations that one has to consider etc)

In addition his work resulted in a workable proposal (unfortunately a
little hidden in the wealth of material)

However, it is my belief that his proposal could be and should be
implemented as a next step in form of a prototype implementation (for
example using virtual fonts as a first fast and easy step). Having
this prototype would then allow us to see if it is actually meeting
the needs in all respects or whether there need to be a second
iteration. Following that there should then be a final implementation
perhaps with a direct mf implementation or otherwise (to go with the
dc fonts, sorry ec fonts these days :-)

From the LaTeX3 project we would be willing to support such an effort
perhaps even financially (to the best of our abilities) given very
clear goals and a limited project plan. In other words, I do not see
much sense in reopening any discussion on the work by Justin without
having a practical implementation first.

The reason that nothing happened so far is that we did not have any
time to actually support such an effort let alone looking for a
volunteer being interested. But I agree that this is definitely
overdue