From:
Michal Hoftich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2020 09:07:23 +0200
Hi all,

> Inspired by issue #900 on the PGF/TikZ repo [1], I'd like to kick off
> the discussion on how to correctly integrate the new hook management
> system into existing LaTeX package codebases.

I've just tested latex-dev with TeX4ht and I can confirm that it
fatally crashes with latex-dev.

Test file sample.tex:

---
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
Hello world
\end{document}
---

build file that requires latex-dev, sample.mk4:

----
Make:htlatex {htlatex = "lualatex-dev"}
----

Compile using:

make4ht -a debug sample.tex

The result:

[STATUS]  make4ht: Conversion started
[STATUS]  make4ht: Input file: sample.tex
[ERROR]   htlatex: Compilation errors in the htlatex run
[ERROR]   htlatex: Filename     Line    Message
[ERROR]   htlatex: ./sample.tex         2        Extra \endgroup.
[ERROR]   htlatex: ?    ?        Emergency stop.
[ERROR]   htlatex: ?    ?         ==> Fatal error occurred, no output
PDF file produced!
[FATAL]   make4ht-lib: Fatal error. Command htlatex returned exit code 1

TeX4ht patches \document command on line 166 in tex4ht.sty. When I
comment out this definition, the compilation doesn't fail, but tags
inserted at the beginning of the HTML file are missing. So, the
question is, how can we adapt this existing code for the new LaTeX
hook handling?

Best regards,
Michal