Sender:
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2014 12:49:24 +1300
From:
aparsloe <[log in to unmask]>
On 13/10/2014 2:16 a.m., Joseph Wright wrote:
> On 22/09/2014 00:55, aparsloe wrote:
>> Is there any way to capture the expanded content of a message (in the
>> sense of l3msg) in a token list variable? As I understand it, messages
>> at present go either to the terminal or the log file. To use a message
>> in some other way, doesn't seem to be allowed for.
There are at least a couple of issues here. The first is that (TeX)
messages are tied pretty closely to the log/terminal. Thus the usual
approach to dealing with any automation is to parse the log after a run
and extract the information. The l3msg system is designed to work with
this as the messages all have 'names' and can be set to display just
that information in the log. Capturing in a token list is for 'standard'
messages doable but not something built-in. The bigger issue in the
context given is that we are talking about expandable messaging.
Floating point calcs are expandable, and we can't issue 'normal'
messages there. Nor can we set any variables, and that is an issue with
the requested functionality: it's not doable in TeX. -- Joseph Wright

OK. Thank you for the response Joseph.

Andrew