Sender:
From:
Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 10:15:24 +0000
Roozbeh Pournader writes:
 > Interesting, interesting! I find every TeX guru somewhere in the
 > *ML world. Today I was looking at the XML FAQ, and found
 > \emph{The Typographer}'s name there (i.e., Peter Flynn).
 > Where should I fly? :)))))))))
actually, i'd say that TeXxies are marginal in the XML world. most of
the big names either abandoned TeX some time back, or never knew it,
so far as I can see.

 > Oh oh! First rule: good freely available TeX material should exits always.
"rule"? you make it sound like the silly US constitution, as if to say
"right"!

 > Many people, but not everyone, I think even if I get very professional
 > in MathML, a simple MathML formula like the famous equivalent of
 > x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^{2} - 4ac}}{2a}
 > seems very obscure to me.
you can carry on writing this, and have converters to turn it to
MathML, no problem (I say this, having worked on a LaTeX to MathML
conversion system with Eitan Gurari, and I assure you that it
works). BUT BUT BUT you will find it hard indeed to generate
*semantic* MathML from your TeX markup. Someone might want to consider
writing a LATeX package which implements a markup for semantic math
which will translate to MathML easily

Sebastian