Sender:
From:
Robin Fairbairns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 10:20:47 +0000
> The thing is that - in Swedish - compuond words in which the first part
> ends in a double consonant when a word by itself and the second part
> starts with the same letter get this letter in triplicate when
> hyphenated.  Example:  "tillaga" (make (food)) is hyphenated "till-laga"
> since it is made from the words "till" (to) and "laga" (make, prepare
> (repair)).  Other examples are 'missa"mja' -> 'miss-sa"mja'
> (dissension), "kalluft" -> "kall-luft" (cold air), and "uppassare" ->
> "upp-passare" (~servant).
>
> Correct hyphenation of such words are on my "wish-list" for LaTeX3. :-)

Correct hyphenation of compound words (in languages that have special
rules for them) is AIUI something that can't be dealt with by an
unmodified Laing algorithm.  As a result, it requires something that's
not TeX, let alone `not current LaTeX'...

Petr Sojka has done some very interesting work in this area ... see
his papers on hyphenation in the last two EuroTeXs, and in various
issues of TUGboat.  I don't recall off-hand whether his work addresses
the split-doubles issue, but it's worth reviewing.

Robin F