From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 23:19:23 +0100
Lars

 > (BTW Frank, I managed to get around the resetting of \escapechar that was
 > necessary in the version I sent you, so now I only grumble about it in the
 > Implementation section. I still think that NFSS changing \escapechar is a
 > bad idea though; not changing \escapechar would use less tokens.)

the advantage of setting the escapaechar is that i know what its value is,
right? which could differ and then i'm in deep shit (i think that was my
original reasoning to implement it the way it is implemented)

but i grand you that this is layered software and that part goes back to NFSS1
alpha (or pre :-)

 > Also, perhaps I should point out that what Frank called glyph collection
 > seems to be pretty much what I call encoding in relenc.tex, and what he
 > called encoding seems to be pretty much what I call coding scheme in
 > relenc.tex.

yes indeed. do you agree that our names are better?

point is what we call "glyph collection" and you "encoding" is a set ie
something unordered (a collection) which is why i think calling it encoding is
confusing the issues as in my book encoding means associate a mapping with a
set. right?

example: the glyphs in a ps font (ie those in the AFM file some of which are
compositive) form a collection (you call it encoding) and the encoding vector
defines an encoding (ie the subset + its mapping to numbers) that can be
actually used (you call it coding scheme)