From:
Phillip Helbig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 13:44:31 GMT
> Phillip Helbig <[log in to unmask]>:

>   Should the command not be named \color? I mean, who will remember how to
> spell it correctly otherwise. -- Just joking. :-)

\color might already exist in one of the graphics packages?!?!

>   But I am not sure of the use of the command. Are there a lot of authors
> writing papers in several English dialects simultaneously?

Well, my next paper I intend to submit to the Monthly Notices of the
Royal Astronomical Society, who in their style guide say `please use
British spelling'.  Part of this might be recycled for, say, a
conference proceeding (or the other way around) published by, say, an
American publisher who is equally adamant about using American spelling.
Or the decision where to submit something might be made after most of
the manuscript is written, depending on how much each of the potential
authors actually contributes, perhaps the emphasis in the final version,
whose institute can cover page charges for those journals which levy
them etc.  Also, there are times when one doesn't agree with the reasons
for a rejection and resubmits to another, equally respected, journal in
another country.  So it is a real concern.

> Or are there a
> lot of scientific journals out there that refuse to accept the fact that
> there are different dialects of the English language?

Depends on how strictly such things as `please use British spelling' are
interpreted.

Note that, with german.sty, one can select language as either Austrian
or German---I believe the only difference is that with \today Austrian
has `J"anner' and German `Januar'.  Also, in Switzerland, they have
abolished the "s (\ss,\3) character, so there are similar considerations
in languages other than English.

--
Phillip Helbig                          Email ... [log in to unmask]
Nuffield Radio Astronomy Laboratories   Tel. ..... +44 1477 571 321 (ext. 297)