Sender:
From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 20:46:05 +0200
At 16:20 97-04-16, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> > In fact, some TeX versions (like BlueSky Textures) allow
> > direct inclusion of PS-fonts, so you do not even need to convert them
> > (except for a metric fonts file).

>sorry, i think you are confused about fonts and TeX. what do you mean
>by `conversion' of PS fonts?

This discussion started with
At 10:29 97-04-16, Rolf Marvin B|e Lindgren wrote:
>using Alan Jeffrey's fontinst package, and the utilities that are
>included with these, converting PostScript fonts to TeX fonts is not
>very difficult - at least not for text fonts.  using a script that I
>hacked myself, I was able to convert the entire Adobe PostScript font
>collection to TeX fonts.

  This is the conversion I had in my mind.

  When using PS fonts directly in Textures, I think there will be an
encoding problem. At least for math fonts, you could not hope just using
``Helvetica instead of CM''. For text fonts, I know that say the
diacriticals get out of whack, because TeX tries to combine two boxes,
instead of using the single one in the PS font. So you have to get around
this, which I figure relates to the other stuff about kerning diacriticals
discussed here. One can convert PS font metric to TeX font metric, but TeX
can have more glyphs in a font, which allows for more kerning information,
for example.

> >   Getting a translation PS font -> METAFONT might be a partial help, but it
> > will not resolve the math fonts issue, which is tied up to the problems of
> > kerning, and optical scaling, font families matching, etc.
>you can resolved these issues with proper LaTeX styles, encodings,
>metrics, and using the right fonts. Seriously, this _isnt_ an issue.
>
> >   The sorry thing that there are not many math font families to choose
> > from, and one idea of the math encoding project was trying to help changing
>
>if it was one aim of the project, i am really quite surprised!

  I can only refer to Justin's paper, the document
    info/ltx3pub/l3d007.tex
at CTAN. The thing is that there are hundreds of text fonts available, but
only a few, a single digit number, of math fonts available, which in part
depends on the complicated and ad hoc original math font encoding. So, in
part to clear up this difficulty, new math font encodings were suggested.

> >   The problem is not doing this, but it does not provide correct math
> > typesetting.
>it depends how i set it up!

  So the problem is that it is a lot of work setting it up.

  Hans Aberg