From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 13:56:12 +0200
At 08:16 97-04-16, Michael Downes wrote:

[On optical scaling]

>If a document uses lots of characters at size 7pt and below, the quality
>difference will be quite noticeable. Otherwise not. In practice this
>means essentially that only documents with lots of math require
>optically scaled fonts.

  Several Adobe PS font families have fonts in different condensation and
weight, so it seems me that if you want to create some optical scaling with
such a font, you could choose a somewhat extended and of heavier weight
font linearly scaled up to say 7.5pt, and above that size use the normal
font linearly scaled.

  Hans Aberg