From:
Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 20:28:52 +0000
Joachim Schrod writes:
 > As an authoring language, XML is inadequate beyond recognition. It's
 > reasonably good for exchange of data and well suited for archiving
 > documents, but not made for human consumption.

Between 1985 and 1999 I wrote LaTeX practically every day of my
life. Since 1999 I have written XML practically every day. I barely
notice the extra characters, and in general my day to day authoring is
more satisyfying. No, I am not joking at all.

 > still psgmls on (X)Emacs is one of the best authoring environments
 > around; that's a shame.

why is it a shame? its an excellent editor. tried epcEdit :-}

 > and all showed that the hype that's spread by XML fanatics isn't worth
 > the paper it's printed on (or the disk space it's stored in). I'll
 > tell you, these projects were more than depressing...

possibly, possibly not. but I bet we can both agree that they are more
successful than the attempts to spread LaTeX in the `real' world!

In a moment, Frank will shout at me in private for getting off the
subject of the list, and complain in public that no-one takes the L3
research seriously enough.

Sebastian "prescient" Rahtz