From:
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 00:16:28 +0200
Walter Landry writes:
 > Frank Mittelbach <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
 > > So far I have seen the comments by Jeff (who goes in a lot of detail
 > > through the license, for which i would like to thank him, and to
 > > which i intend to get back) but other than that, all I heard so far
 > > and repeatedly heard is "we don't like that you use clause 4 and
 > > therefore it is a license acceptable by us" (though in more
 > > elaborate words).
 >
 > Well, there were my comments that preventing the modification or
 > removal of .ins files goes beyond what clause 4 allows.  I even gave
 > an example where it might be completely appropriate to do such a
 > thing.  The message should be in the debian-legal archive.

sorry, yes there are such comments and i try to pay attention to them (that
particular concern should be gone in the draft of two days ago (it was a
leftover)

concerning patches and klingons

a) LaTeX has support for klingons (i have never tried it but it is somewhere,
i've seen it)  ... :-)

b) latex or rather tex is a macro language in other words yu can modify
anything of it at any time during the process not just data but program.

c) that means you are not restricted into only one way of patching stuff
   eg the package hyperref redefines a good deal of the kernel and a large
   number of commands from other packages (so everybody now knows that this
   packages is best loaded last:-)

 > In a sense, I feel your pain.  You want everyone's installation of

not sure

 > Latex to be the same to facilitate interoperability.  However, free

yes

 > software means that you give up some measure of control over your
 > creation.

yes. we do as well about 90% of the latex software around has nothing to do
with the latex project team from which the license comes. it is neither
certified or directly integrated nor anything. it improves on the kernel or
addes new features to the language (including klingon or whatever) therby
probably breaking a lot of things within the language if used together but all
that is fine and okay under the license. the license only ensures that

\usepackage{klingon}
\usepackage{babel}

will break in the same way here as well at your desk so that if i send you

\usepackage{klingon}
\usepackage{babel}
\renewcommand\klingonblabla....

it will work for you (for the current document) because it worked here.

does this help you too feel my pain a bit more accurrate?

good night